Since 2011 we have received 1000+ applications for support from revert sisters in London, UK cities nationwide and from countries all over the world such as Chile, USA, Canada, New Zealand, India, France, Germany, Sweden, Nigeria and the list sadly goes on. The Support Scheme needs to expand to other areas nationally and internationally.
- Abandonment by non-Muslim relatives upon entering Islam
- Isolation and loneliness
- Homelessness due to reversion
- Emotional and physical abuse
- Marital problems
- Difficulties making changes such as wearing hijab, informing non-Muslim relatives of reversion
- Doubts in faith and thoughts of leaving Islam
What is the Support Scheme service?
SOLACE UK has established a very structured and clear service which aims to provide support to revert sisters in difficulty. Our Support Scheme service is very unique in that it provides each revert sister with a fully trained support worker and keyworker for one to one support.
During this support, an initial assessment is carried out which outlines what the revert sister's current problems are and where she would like to be. From this, an individualised support plan is established.
The support is structured and person centred with the following aims:
- Supporting the revert sister with her current problems
- Providing her with the tools she needs to move towards where she would like to be, thus empowering her
- By practically and emotionally supporting her, SOLACE then aims to help her re-establish herself upon Islam – with the hope of each revert sister experiencing the zeal, love and passion she once experienced upon entering Islam
What types of support are available through the Support Scheme service?
- Mediation service for service users experiencing difficulties with non-Muslim relatives
- Emotional support for service users who feel down due to strained relationships with non-Muslim relatives
- Help in improving social network
- Emergency temporary accommodation for those who are homeless as a result of reversion
- Counselling for victims of emotional and physical abuse
- Helping service users work through their marital problems
- Step by step action plans for service users who are finding it difficult to adopt Islamic practises such as wearing hijab, praying 5 times a day, fasting through Ramadan
- Emergency support for revert sisters who have doubts in their faith as well as thoughts of wishing to leave Islam