Solace was set up in 2010 by a group of women who were concerned about the difficulties facing revert sisters both in the short and long term, and their variety of needs. Whilst there are many organisations within the United Kingdom catering for the educational and Islamic needs of revert sisters, there appeared to be a lack of support and provision of services catering specifically for the holistic needs of revert sisters. Recognising the need for an organisation with the aim of supporting revert sisters through their various difficulties led to the creation of Solace.
Solace launched in January 2011 and became a registered charity in 2012.
Solace is a charity that provides a range of services for revert sisters in difficulty, regardless of whether they have been Muslim for 2 weeks or even 20 years; it supports them when they are going through life’s problems alone, suffering in silence, or even no longer enjoying their Islam.
In 2016, we established a branch in the Midlands and in 2017 our first international branch in the Netherlands began operation.
Though a UK based charity, we have received requests for support from revert sisters worldwide which demonstrates the need for the expansion of Solace. Support us to reach our vision of a worldwide network of Solace.
- To encourage revert sisters to empower themselves to manage their lives, emotions and relationships with confidence and vision.
- To enable sisters to explore their faith in an open and engaging environment, and establish firm foundations in Islam.
- To create community awareness of the issues that revert sisters face and offer practical solutions.
- Provide training for volunteers and staff, equipping them with the knowledge and support skills required to meet the diverse needs of revert sisters.
- Liaise with a range of diverse supportive services to enable revert sisters to receive specialist support.
- Provide faith based support through carefully designed services.
- Develop comprehensive programs that educate the wider community on how to develop and improve their support to revert sisters.
- Provide a safe space for revert sisters to discuss their difficulties in a supportive and confidential environment.
Alhamdulilah, I have found my conversations with Laila so far, really beneficial, masha Allah. She has a very easy and comfortable manner. She has a very good understanding of issues I felt overwhelmed by and her support is really helping me take beneficial steps in my personal development. Thank you for all your support and I really appreciate you being there, it has made all the difference.Anonymous
I came across Solace during an absolute crisis point in my life. I was completely homeless on the street. Solace helped me immediately after I contacted them. I sent photos and screen shots of documents to Solace over whatsap to verify my situation and over a few hours I was helped! They paid for me to go stay at a hotel and I was just so grateful I didn't have to sleep on the street that night. That night I was finally able to have a wash, collect my thoughts, and calm down from the calamity... Read moreAnonymous
The support worker was excellent. She was very helpful and polite. She came to my house when arranged and took me to the court and the medical centre as part of trying to sort out my problems. She even made sure I got back home safely by dropping me back. She did everything I asked from her and I couldn’t have asked for more. I got so much help and support to sort out the problems I had with my benefit. My life has changed for the better. I feel like I am not alone. The support worker ca... Read moreAnonymous