Solace was set up in 2010 by a group of women who were concerned about the difficulties facing revert sisters both in the short and long term, and their variety of needs. Whilst there are many organisations within the United Kingdom catering for the educational and Islamic needs of revert sisters, there appeared to be a lack of support and provision of services catering specifically for the holistic needs of revert sisters. Recognising the need for an organisation with the aim of supporting revert sisters through their various difficulties led to the creation of Solace.
Solace launched in January 2011 and became a registered charity in 2012.
Solace is a charity that provides a range of services for revert sisters in difficulty, regardless of whether they have been Muslim for 2 weeks or even 20 years; it supports them when they are going through life’s problems alone, suffering in silence, or even no longer enjoying their Islam.
In 2016, we established a branch in the Midlands and in 2017 our first international branch in the Netherlands began operation.
Though a UK based charity, we have received requests for support from revert sisters worldwide which demonstrates the need for the expansion of Solace. Support us to reach our vision of a worldwide network of Solace.
- To encourage revert sisters to empower themselves to manage their lives, emotions and relationships with confidence and vision.
- To enable sisters to explore their faith in an open and engaging environment, and establish firm foundations in Islam.
- To create community awareness of the issues that revert sisters face and offer practical solutions.
- Provide training for volunteers and staff, equipping them with the knowledge and support skills required to meet the diverse needs of revert sisters.
- Liaise with a range of diverse supportive services to enable revert sisters to receive specialist support.
- Provide faith based support through carefully designed services.
- Develop comprehensive programs that educate the wider community on how to develop and improve their support to revert sisters.
- Provide a safe space for revert sisters to discuss their difficulties in a supportive and confidential environment.
I truly appreciate all the advice and emotional you have given me over this past year. Words cannot explain how grateful I am as you were there for me when I needed it most. My journey ahead will not be easy but I have the mindset to get through it with Allah's help. I believe I can.Anonymous
This is a combination of my reflections from my diary after I finished working with F and my recent reflections. I had very low expectations of Solace. I presumed that they would not want to work with me. When I met F for the first time I presumed that she wouldn't like me and I presumed that we wouldn't get on together at all. Happy to say that I was wrong about that! It took me a while to work out in my head the relationship that I had with F. I came to the conclusion that she was a co... Read moreAnonymous
The support worker was excellent. She was very helpful and polite. She came to my house when arranged and took me to the court and the medical centre as part of trying to sort out my problems. She even made sure I got back home safely by dropping me back. She did everything I asked from her and I couldn’t have asked for more. I got so much help and support to sort out the problems I had with my benefit. My life has changed for the better. I feel like I am not alone. The support worker ca... Read moreAnonymous